View Single Post
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by withintheflux View Post
10 out of 11 were filled. I haven't tried it with the Doublewide only but I have tried it after removing 4 of the adjacent modules...same noise.

Actually been chatting with Phil at retro who is going to take a look at the doublewide to make sure its working correctly. If so, maybe the BAE doesn't play nice with it. we'll see.

These types of scenarios are definitely arguments in favor of 19" gear.. where power supplies are designed for the device alone.
Blake
I would try it with IT alone JUST to see...
I did notice that the doublewide does not use both edge connectors for power, not knowing the basics of Both BAE & the Retro makes it impossible to know what IS the problem...Interesting...
IM curious if the BAE has current limiting on the edge connectors..

There some aspects of the 500 series that is NOT ideal...IMHO
Some treat it like it was a like a console which has several power supply's to drive all the different circuits, +-18V, +24V, +5V for example...
But blaming the SET IN STONE 500 series is NOT the answer, IMHO...
I LOVE the 500 series for most gear...

I do agree about power supply's, If I built a tube based unit it would have the typical 12V for the heaters, a HV section 150V and higher for plate voltage as a minimum...(+5V for LED's ect also) So it would be based on a transformer with at least two different winding's, two different regulated or filtered outputs...