View Single Post
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51122 View Post
I recently got a Guild Starfire bass - it's awesome! But when I record it through my ampeg DI into my Apollo Twin, there's a really annoying noise. They're single coils but it's not the normal hum (I switch from both pickups to just bridge pickup in the example so you can hear). Any ideas what this might be?

When I come out of the headphone output on the Ampeg DI into my headphones, this noise isnt there. I tried running a solidybody 6 string through the DI into my Apollo and that noise isnt there. It seems to be isolated to the bass.

Bass Noise Test by Franco Slate | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Sounds like 120hz or so line noise that imo...in the context of the bigger picture of getting some work done......just record the track, then notch out the hum later once you have the bass recorded in the context with other instruments etc.

You can microscope stuff like this all day long, wasting time to find the culprit....only to have it return next wednesday.

Between noise gates, track editing, knocking out a noise after the fact (by the way, spectralayers is super-fast at non-intrusive surgery after-the-fact), just get the track laid down.