View Single Post
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Usually the higher end mic has a shorter path of reaching the desired sound. But not always (Rubiks cube end result/hypothetically) But 2 more things come into effect here... No 2 mics will have the same colored cube at the end and the clarity and pureness of the color of the cube will be different. I also never make the assumption that the higher end mic will have the better looking Rubiks cube at the end. When need be I often blend say two lower priced mics for my desired results. Lets say I want a semi-sibilant high end with nice interesting glitching and a more subdued darker fairly clear low end frequency sound. I would use a AKG 8000 for the high end blended with the lower end of a Behringer 8500.

I always use many permutations or recording set ups and never use the one size fits all mentality. If I had a good mic locker - It would also tempt me to get lazy - But I do my sound tests as diligently as I can and oft times come up with something much better and far from what I was actually searching for or pre-envisioned. This is the beauty of being the producer without having to pay for studio time or over head. (You pay with time and energy though).

I often copy dynamic chart EQs of other microphones and the results are often surprising. (good and bad) But even the bad results are valuable by showing me what not to do and what direction is the right way to head. In the film industry the we used to do 'due diligence' in the dailies or 'tests' and make adjustments accordingly (not dissimilar to running microphone testing and EQing for a vocalist before a session).