View Single Post
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

To Console or Not to Console...

My gut says no, but my lust says yes. I am finally building out my little studio in an old log house we bought a few years ago. I basically only record myself, maybe myself and friend at the same time ever. I never intend to use the studio for outside clients, its my cathartic happy place . The studio currently is stashed in our dining room/living room/sitting room, so every morning I wake up and will work on song sketches vie loops and what not, record them, date them, for later work, etc. This made me realize, perhaps I need to set up the studio with everything essentially mic'd up and ready to rumble. Once I find my drum sound, I will MOSTLY leave it be. Same with guitars,bass, etc.etc. This led me to think, maybe I should get a console where I can have everything ready to go at a moments notice. I have one Apollo 8p, get another of those, that should essentially take care of bass, drums and guitars to at least nail down basic ideas quickly without messing with finding mics, changing preamps, running cables etc. Also, a 16 channel console would be enough to record several people at once if I ever decide to not be a hermit. I could liquidate my current preamps or just keep them for other flavors. In addition, I grew up pre digital so I wouldn't abhor the idea of a console - though I realize its not necessary. Currently I do all my recording and have a friend that does the mastering and mixing, however, I could see myself doing it all in time. Thoughts?