View Single Post
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
What you say would be true in a floating point world. In fixed point world (AES) it's just not true. You are loosing resolution earlier than necessary.
BTW: I am especially enjoying controlling surround volume via GLM, very clean solution!
Hey fellas please help me out here. There is a technical answer and not just opinion that much is clear and I would like to understand. I understand the basic concept that with digital volume control, there are less bits available as the volume is turned down. Also my understanding is that the ability of the ear/brain to hear the difference in bit depth as digital volume is reduced is also reduced.

Assuming 24bit source material-->DAW or Itunes-->RME AES OUt-->Genelec 8351 all digital connections, what is a higher playback resolution, a) or b)? Why?

a) Turn GML volume all the way up (0 dB), software playback level inside Total Mix at 0db, routed to AES, Main
(volume control) toggled to AES, volume at -40db

B) Software playback level inside RME (total mix) at 0db, routed to AES, Main (volume control) toggled to AES. listening volume at -40db in GML.

So I hooked everything up and ran the above a-b listening test (because my curiosity got the best of me), and I would be hard pressed to perceive any tangible difference in sound quality. If anything, a) seemed to sound a little smoother--but I couldn't say for sure.

BTW, I doubled checked the levels with an spl meter to make sure the levels matched in the room.

I'm happy to report i changed my mind and now able to use my blue AES cables and free up a couple nice balanced XLR cables for other purposes. And it is nice to know I don't need an extra volume knob cluttering my desk.

P.S. I can't say if this setup is any better audio quality than just running analog (from purely listening)--excellent converters in both the 8351s and the RME UFX probably helps.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by Louie1; 4th April 2019 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Clarification