View Single Post
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Well....yes!

I can only speak for myself here but I'll try to sum up my experience.

I learned on acoustic drums. When I got my E-kit, I just started using it without thinking much about it. To me, it's like an acoustic guitar player picking up an electric bass. Same basic rules, slightly different application. You have to practice on 'that' particular version to get the most out of it.

Yes, playing real vs E-kits are different experiences, different feel, different response, different ways of making adjustments to the kit so it fits better with your style of playing. I got mine when the first V-Drums were released. Mesh heads were a big improvement at the time for sure.

As for the application, in my home studio, I love them. I only ever trigger SD2 and I get what I need from this setup. I have had other drummers play them and had to coach them a little bit or demo the behavior to give an example of what to expect but most players tend to get along with them fine.

I think the sense of 'these are pretty fun to play' has come across as 'these are really close to feeling like acoustic drums' to some people in the past, which is not accurate obviously.

I bought the smallest frame they had at the time, 8" pads all around, to save space. Pad size makes a big difference and, to be honest, the best mesh pads I've played were 14" DIY pads a guy I met had made. They felt way more 'natural' than the Roland ones. Just an old tom, cut in half, sensor and mesh head installed. There's lots of info on DIY pads out there.
Also, I have toured with them, 2 flight cases with wheels in the airport is not fun! Setup isn't any quicker either.

But to me, where they really shine is as a writing tool. To be able to use all 4 of my limbs to compose drum parts for my songs has been indispensable through the years. After seeing different E-percussion setups in different studios, I have to say, get the best Roland setup that you can afford.