View Single Post
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
I've been "playing" my Superior Drums from my keyboard, and while I'm happy with the results, I'd like to go to the next level of realism, especially in regards to the hi hats.

Let me interject at this point that the first instrument I learned to play as an adolescent was drums, and I do have a real set of 1964 Ludwig BOP drums (purchased as a present to me from my parents in '64) that are an exact copy of Ringo's drumset, and they are stored in cases at my house where my home studio is located.

Moving forward, I'm thinking about buying some pads that I would like to play with sticks to trigger Superior Drums, but once I started researching pads, it opened a can of worms for someone who is admittedly obsessive.

Regardless, there are so many options like the Roland Octopdad, SPD-SX, the Alesis Sample Pad 4, the Strike, the Akai MDP's, the Yamaha DTX-MULTI 12, etc., and all of them allow one to add hi hat and kick drum triggers.

I also could go with some electronic drums kits by Yamaha, Alesis and Roland, and they all have mesh/rubber heads/cymbals, as well as pedals to trigger the hi hats and kick drum.

Now admittedly I would just use my Ludwig's to record my drums, but my Apollo Twin Duo only has two inputs, so my options are limited there, but I have thought about recording my Zildjian hi hats separately, and at least that would solve having realistic sounding hi hats.

So what are your thoughts/input/advice in achieving what I'm trying to accomplish?
Hi Jerry, if you can do the real hats thing !! it really helps .. the Mesh Type Kits, they are quite nice when you need to slap down some ideas ..

a friend used to use an Octopad type with Kick and Hat Pedals .. and that again was fast for getting ideas down .. you have to play "The Pads" yes, so in that sense, the Mesh Kit type Hats are nicer ..

imho, it is bice to have Kick, Snare, Hats to play at the same time ... is much as you can play the Real Hats by themselves to a programmed kick and snare fro example .. the intereaction will never be the sameor as natural .. maybe a simple Mesh Kit !!

thx for starting this thread, as i would like to come up with an extremely portable version of a K/S/Hat Kit that you can play and not bother people .. backpack type size ..

if i find something interesting i will post back !!

just my thoughts on a sunday .. and FYI: i just sold off all my acoustic drums - to slim down my life - but miss hitting something !

cheers john