View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
From what I learned, the problem is that this type of porting does help extend the frequency response down to 50Hz but beyond the response drops down steeply. So, a bass note that is moving around this spectrum will have an uneven perceived volume response. This makes it much harder to judge and obtain a solid and even bass line.
It would be hard to judge below 50 Hz if you have speakers that cut-off at 50 Hz, whether it be ported or sealed. You'd want a sub either way.

The main con of ported speakers is their group-delay/time-smear, due to the higher order roll-off of a ported cabinet vs. a sealed cabinet. (It's debatable whether this is perceivable or not.)
Quote:
Some other porting anomalies include, resonant frequency which a test signal will not show because it is different than music waveforms or percussive sound with fast transients, or ringing of the port that can cover a fundamental frequency. Furthermore, the port can resonate at various frequencies causing smearing and artifacts along the whole frequency spectrum not just low ones.
Some of these are nonsense, and others are well avoidable if properly made. Hopefully in a flagship speaker costing thousands of dollars, it's properly made.
Quote:
In my opinion, for serious mixing, it is better to have non-ported monitors coupled with the sub and a treated room not only with acoustic foam but bass traps also.
If coupled with a sub, it doesn't really matter whether a speaker is ported or non-ported. When you cross-over a speaker with a sub, the crossover filter takes over the speaker's inherent high-pass filter so it becomes moot whether it's ported or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Have to agree on some of this.

I have not used any high-end monitors, but for sure the Shape 65's give me a much better representation of the low end in a mix (and I mix mostly Hip Hop), than for instance a monitor that plays lower but has a bass port.
If you like the Shape 65, it has nothing to do with its lack of a bass port. The Shape 65 has passive radiators, which means it's basically got the acoustic properties of a ported design. You can think of the passive radiators as a substitute for a port.
Quote:
The bass roll-off is less steep and the whole impression is much tighter, so I can clearly hear where the kick is punching and where the meat of the bass is and easily carve the two out. I've never been able to do that with a ported monitor. Also, the low-end response is faster, which again helps with positioning the level of the kick or a punchy bassline and setting compression for instance. It's to the point that I hardly need to turn on my sub or use my headphones to check what's going on these days.
The roll-off of passive radiator speaker cabs is if anything slightly steeper than ported cabs.