View Single Post
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspipe View Post
Hello Everyone,

Apologies if a thread like this has been made. Anyway, I've been learning and making music for the past few years, released some albums, you guys know the story. I mostly make instrumental music and now I would like to branch out and challenge myself and write some lyrics. I'm not a singer but I'd still like to write some songs and find some vocalists to sing it. Problem is, I can't finish my lyrics.
I start out with a few lines, then after that, I hit a dead end. Been playing guitar most of my life so i have no problem coming up with harmonies/melodies. But my songwriting is way behind my instrumental abilities. I come up with music on my daw within an hour, then I hit a brick wall when I start writing lyrics.

Any tips you guys/girls can give me? I know it takes a lot of time and practice and I want to stick with this and I'm willing and want to put in the time. But how can i hone my craft when I run out of stuff to write?? When I listen to my favorite songwriters, they both inspire me and crush my spirit. Why are they so smart and witty!!! Anyway, I'll stop now before this turns into a mindless rant. Appreciate the help!!

Write the lyrics first. Then it is easier to make the music to match.

Reversing that is very hard.