View Single Post
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
In the end, I think you guys, both being respected and learned engineers, are saying the same thing... but from different ends of the same ruler. Proving yet AGAIN on this very same thread that to get to a finished mastered track there are many polarizing ways to achieve the same result.
Thanks for the props, but I'm not sure we are! I'm saying most guys use an EQ on the mix buss; Jim's saying that's because their mixes need a band aid. I find that kinda odd. Esp since these are guys who's primary living is mixing audio, not making, fixing or modding gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Reminds me of a record I GA’d on where the chief engineer insisted to us all over and over that the best engineers get it right with the right mic and placement and even EQ is a band-aid if a tool and tried not to use eq AT ALL. He produced almost every big jazz record out of the 60’s and 70’s here in nyc so I don’t think he’s a slouch. Kinda overboard if you ask me, eq is a color on a paint palette just like any other outboard gear but they were amazing sounding records nonetheless. He had one of those motarized ball and pinion head mic mounts that controled the placement via powered xlr tie-lines down to the millimeter and took 2 days to lock in the placement of the rooms before we even pulled up a session file.
If we all had the luxury of 2 days setup time, I think we'd spend a lot more time on mic placement (though how you keep perspective is beyond me! or the patience of the musos..). There's no arguing with the process though - if that's what works for that person, that works. It is fair to say that approach will ONLY work with some styles - those intending to be as true to the performance as possible.

Quote:
So to say one way is right or wrong is just asinine, what if they told Hendrix he was holding his guitar “wrong”? C’mon... y’all are smarter than to deny the beauty of a different approach than your own.
Absolutely. I'm just saying what is common practice, and to say that means the mix "isn't ready" IS asinine.

Quote:
The only thing I’d add however is that to say masterbuss treatment is not commonly used by working top tier professionals would be erroneous. I’d point out that even the commercial LFC’s (being Otari, Neotek, neve, ssl etc...) have iconic masterbuss topology in their center section for good reason. Cause everyone uses it. Outboard buss compressors are used on stems and individual tracks regularly by almost everyone. Even my overdub and ADR work is all required by clients to have it. Clients being Disney, Nickelodeon, Netflix etc. This is standard across the board in not only all genres but all audio production such as folley, sound design and ADR. And don’t forget that even natural tape compression from say a 1/4” mastering tape deck is still technically masterbuss treatment. In fact, most modern engineers do in fact “slap” something like pultecs and a stereo busscomp across their 2buss as common practice, often from day 1 to finish.
Exactly.

Quote:
I don’t until the end but that’s just me.
Ironically - if you're not going to do it until the end, perhaps that processing IS best left until mastering?! Essentially you're making a premaster at this point. In this case, I'd kind of agree with Jim - you've made your mix, if something isn't right rework the individual channels!