View Single Post
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
They will 'work' anywhere.
But it may not work good.

And no you do not have to reverse the L/R settings because you are upside down in Australia.

The official numbers will only work best in a room the same size used to promulgate the ORTF and NOS distances and angles. And add that the source size should be the same as the French and Dutch used when they determined the values.

Note they did not specify the distance from the source.

Sengpiel has a chart you can use to find the distances and angles that work best for your situation.

I recently saw another place but do not remember the link that gave other data by miking method. A lot of places have a little data but that one had a lot of other things spelled out. If I find it again then I will post it here.
While initially dismissive of your assertion, I would be interested to read any of the source papers associated with the evolution of those mentioned near coincident arrays...does anyone have references, links to these ? In particular if they contain room dimensions and source to mic distances as you suggest.

I think you might be referring to Michael Williams "The Stereophonic Zoom" article/paper which relates to stereo recording angle, orchestral angle etc. It provides one with tools to recalculate the mic angles and spacings in response to these variables...similar to Sengpiel's widget.

Now you can measure and calculate these from your mobile phone, using at least 2 apps (low cost and free) often mentioned in the thread of this forum; Recording Angle Williams/ Neumann App