View Single Post
Old 8th March 2019 | Show parent

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPower View Post
Nonetheless, whether you drill or use slats, I stand by my statement. For the general DIYer achieving the precision required for Helmholtz is more difficult than it is for membranes. It's not impossible, just more difficult.
acoustic treatment for a small live room-300-mm-deep-hh-array-incident-angle-abs-coef-different-gaps.jpg

300 mm deep HH array incident angle from Soundflow.

One panel has 6 mm gaps and the other one 7 mm gaps between the slats. So even if you mess up by this much; the performance is almost identical. There is no precision required to build a HH array.

A membrane on the other hand due to the high Q requires quite a lot of attention. Membranes are a last resort for me if I need to combat very low frequencies and/or the available build depth is very limited. For all other low frequency absorption needs I rely solely on HH arrays since it´s she safest bet (easy to predict and build plus offers a wide bandwidth so you don´t need to worry about missing your target frequency range).
Attached Thumbnails
acoustic treatment for a small live room-300-mm-deep-hh-array-incident-angle-abs-coef-different-gaps.jpg