Old 4th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Looking good as far as leaves go.
Great thanks for all the help.

Quote:
The issue with floating floors is that doing it right is more complicated than this and a slab on grade is well damped as-is (like thousands of hands on a bell) by the subbase (soil beneath slab). If you are targeting higher levels of isolation, you can cut the slab (with approval of structural engineer) or do a properly floated slab. This will depend on what kind of subbase you have...when was this building built? There are some caveats here and you hope that your subbase is just compacted soil with no insulation.

But in any case here is the issue- in order for a floor to be floated in a way that is not detrimental, the mass-spring system needs to be tuned to a suitable infrasonic frequency. If you have a relatively lightweight floor assembly the live load from people and stuff in the room is going to change the tuning or more likely short circuit the springs (compress them all the way). If you have say a 4" concrete slab that is properly floated it will weigh 50lbs psf, this way the affect of people and gear on the floor is much less significant to the tuning and not likely to short circuit the springs. Also the slab itself would be rebar/mesh reinforced and help the distribute weight to all the springs.
Yeah, thinking about the floor was my next step. I know floating (concrete) floor isnt that good idea but drew it just as a placeholder. I think it might be way to complicated for me, and the friend who's helping me, to do it properly.

Building is from 1980 I think.

Quote:
Products like U-boats and other dampening based systems might provide a slight increase in structural borne sound transmission- but a whole wood frame on top of them is a large resonant system that will negatively affect the rooms acoustics and can create an audible band resonance that also negatively effects isolation. A better idea than that would be an underlayment before putting a pergo style floor on top. And a better idea than that would be to keep the concrete, and use Iso-mounts on subwoofers and bass systems (or dual-opposed subs) and possibly a massive, properly tuned drum riser.
Yeah I think you said that before. Also, doesn't sound natural for me but that doesn't mean I don't believe you Isomounts and tuned drumriser sound like a plan! Thanks again.

Quote:
All that said, it's likely that as-is the bare slab will not be the weakest link from an isolation perspective. The HVAC system, door seals and overall tightness of construction will have to be very good before the slab is your weakest link. The nice thing with isolating flanking sources is you can do it later and as needed.

True indeed, I'll get a pretty good tightness on doors, walls etc. I'm sure but yeah the hvac system, i'dont know. I have time to test it though.