View Single Post
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
wow, thats a very bad run ???? sad to hear that, but i think your experience might not be typical, at least from my experience.

i have found good analog tape machines to be very reliable.

i have been on 2 inch since the 80s, and total repairs would be less than $2000.

i ran a Studer A800mk3 around 12 hours a day, 350 days a year, (xmas and new years day off) for at least 8 years straight, and had Zero Tech cost for repairs. the only tech costs were routine tape allignments 456/499 etc.

That Studer never broke down, and it got thrashed every day.

i had an Ampex 1200 for 8 years or so, and that was not as good as the studer. it did break down, and needed repairs, but nothing like $7000. maybe $1000 to $1500.

Now i have another Studer A800mk-1 (transformer version)

i have spent about $350 on techs for that machine. a power supply repair.

i guess some machines are better than others.

Buddha
I agree, and that's the thing. If you buy blind you don't really know what you're getting. The more time goes by and the more these machines change hands and sit in storage units unused for decades, the more likely you are going to be to end up with a money pit.

Best case scenario is to either buy one from Mara that has been rebuilt from the ground up or buy one from someone local that you know has been in use regularly.

For all the money I spent I should have bought one from Mara.