View Single Post
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Obviously you did not read my posts as no where did I or would I ever say “yeah, go for it”.

I simply stated the obvious... and my observations... and suggested a two track if he wants to learn.

When I got my Wurlitzer it was beat to crap half the keys didn’t work, it was out of tune. Keys were laying down flat.

So what did I do? Cry like a little baby??? No, I dove in, learned as much as I could, tore the whole thing apart, rebuilt it all within the first week of owning it. Now I know everything I need to know about owning, maintaining and repairing a Wurlitzer.

So yeah I know about equipment that doesn’t work right away. Didn’t stop me from learning. Know why? I wanted a Wurlitzer.

The OP should do whatever HE wants, it’s his life. Heaven forbid he should learn something that interests him. Right???

Enjoy audio the way you want to drpeacock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
You sound like you think what is being discussed is someone who won't take the time to learn to calibrate the machine or swap a card here or there or clean the heads. I can assure you that's not the case. I probably spent $7k or more on paying techs to refurbish and fix my 3 machines over the 5 years that I had them and they still stayed down more than I got to use them. This is not analogous to refusing to buy a drum kit because you have to change the heads. It's got a lot more in common with buying a 70s Jaguar, which is one of the greatest cars ever made—during the 10% of the time it's not in the shop, that is.

One thing to point out from your post and one thing from the OP's.

Yours—o.k., you've worked with tape machines "all your life." That means your learning curve for them flattened out a long time ago.

His—I believe he's stated that his studio is a personal project studio, not a commercial one.

Does it really make sense for someone in a hobby studio to start fooling with tape at this point in his recording journey? That's his decision, of course, but imagine for a moment that you just bought your first tape machine, and imagine that it doesn't run like it's brand new. Also imagine that all you plan to use it for it to track and dump to digital. Also, as someone else already pointed out, there's a reason that machine is so cheap. It's either because it's a money pit or it's because there is no market for tape machines where he lives (which undermines the, "Buy it and you can flip it and not lose any money," advice) or both.

So is, "YEAH, go for it!" really good advice for this person?

I'm not sure it is.