View Single Post
Old 1st February 2019

Initially it looks like a lot of information, but the point is to offer everything you need right there on the screen. There are no menus with sub menus.
Once you start working with it, it will start to make sense: if I'm looking for something (I'm still learning) it's always in the place I look.
The information relevant to the process at hand is offered on the screen, and what is not needed is not shown. Clearly there's gone a lot of thought in it.

Take the example of the clap plugin. Great example thank you for that.
The parameters on the E-Clap are clearly laid out in three parts. Workflow is from left to right. There's no picture needed, everyone knows what a clap is. There's a consistency in the controls (all knobs), and all function in the expected manner.

The DS Clap plugin has wasted space (I'm not a fan of funny pictograms, if it's not needed. It's very hip but reminds me of some family entertainment all-in-one keyboard) The controls are not ordered from left to right but in three groups which are not logically connected. It is assumed that the three controls at the bottom are the ones you work with most, since these are larger, which makes for easy operation for most users I suppose, but I'll use all controls to shape a clap, so why make this selection? There are three different visual representations: three knobs and two kinds of each two numerical entries.
Since it's an eq (bandpass) why is it called "Tone"? The E-Clap tone shaper/equalizer has 2 parameters, not just one, frequency and Q. The "sloppy" parameter seems a random function. In bitwig you'd route a random generator to any control you want, to achieve the same. It's then possible to control the kind, and amount of random, and even shape that, with an LFO or envelope, if needed.
I could work with either, but the Bitwig one appeals to me much more, it's laid out as a basic function module with only the parameters unique to a clap tone shaping, while the DS Clap is more designed like a self contained FX unit.