View Single Post
Old 28th January 2019
Arrow ISLETA in action.

I had the pleasure of using the Pueblo Audio ISLETA prototype on a number of projects this summer. It's too much to share in one post, but I'll be posting some of the results here in the thread.

One of my favorite recordings this year was a piece performed by members of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band percussion section in a conference room at the 2018 Texas Bandmasters Association convention in San Antonio. It's in the Henry B. González Convention Center. Relatively low ceilings, carpet, and audience, and you might be skeptical. Here's the recording...

Sennheiser MKH40s > ISLETA > Sound Devices MixPre-10T

My observations: beautiful tone, zero distortion with transients, and exquisitely rendered imaging. Relative to the MixPre, the ISLETA has less noise (well, zero noise), and more "magic". Realism? And maybe just as important - check out how nicely they fit together! Both can run on battery, fit in a small pack, and go anywhere. Really nice combination giving you two killer channels, plus room for spots or alternate mains. This was a huge help to me, because it was not the only room I was recording in at the convention.

(PS. For some serious contrasts, try searching the piece on YouTube...)
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Powered Preamp-isleta-percussion-1.jpg   Battery Powered Preamp-isleta-percussion-2.jpg   Battery Powered Preamp-isleta-percussion-3.jpg