View Single Post
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

Love my Tannoy Reveal 502s.

At the high end, they have great clarity and definition tempered by an awesome mid-range that behaves very well, (as the small woofer and the tweeter designs don't have to work too hard to meet gracefully in the middle). As a result, vocals come across as sounding natural and open.

The low end is super tight and punchy - works great for the type of music I do. When I need to go in the sub ranges, I turn on my Presonus T10. Both work really well toghether.

I love the 3.5 mm jack in the back to plug in my iPhone if I just want to hear some tunes.

The sense of stereo perspective is amazing, with a very wide sweet spot. They're very affordable and deliver a balanced sound that you can work with for extended periods (no ear fatigue). Once you learn them, you'll love them. All of my mixes translate well. NOTE: You should use these with some room treatment for good translation of your mixes. I also have these grouped with Sonarworks and some DMSD-50 Decouplers, which really fixed everything I had to EQ for (instrument smearing).

Some folks have complained of a buzzing noise, but Tannoy has fixed that.

For my upgrade set, (I get that they are above the price range of this list), I will be getting the HEDD Type 07's. I tried them out against the Eve's and a few others on this list, in the same ruler-flat treated room. If your looking for mastering-level translation with no hype, you have to hear the 07's. Using my DMSD-50 Decouplers, I felt like I could literally reach out and grab each instrument in space. ZERO smearing. I think the HEDD Type 05's are $1200, so they would be close enough to warrent a listen for folks who want to stay within this list's price range also.