View Single Post
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentstatus View Post
I feel the need for a new reverb plugin my pocket is itching although only a small budget.. but I think it's a choice between:

- Seventh Heaven
- Valhalla Plate

I have a Bricasti M7 so I would like to hear/compare this plugin version, I'm using the M7 less these days as I'm almost all ITB "may sell" also have the controller plugin. However, the V Plate I've heard a lot about so may give it a whirl.. does anybody have any thoughts on the V Plate.
Valhalla Plate is a great plug -- very versatile despite nominally being "just a plate reverb", because it provides a dozen distinct algorithms (named after, though not really modeled after, different metals) with different characteristics involving attack, color, stereo imaging, etc. Some of the algorithms are more faithful to physical plates, some lean more toward chambers. Sean Costello explains it all in a great series of blog posts on the Valhalla site.

Valhalla Plate shines on anything percussive -- drums, percussion, piano, some acoustic guitar tracks -- and on many vocals and vocal-like (e.g. sax) tracks. And like all Valhalla plugs it has a nice library of presets, a clean, usable interface, no-hassle installation and authorization, and a very reasonable CPU hit.

I've only demoed Seventh Heaven, but I remember it as being gorgeous, with a natural, mixable character and a lot of subtlety in the tails.

You really can't go wrong with either, though since I believe Seventh Heaven was developed specifically to emulate the Bricasti, if you're looking for an ITB M7 substitute that might be a logical first choice.