View Single Post
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiller5 View Post
a dynamic will have to do for now due to the fact that I can't put up any acoustic treatment.

Im not sure whether the M88s improved 'room rejection' would be that much of a deciding factor to get it over the 421 now that I think of it. Im no expert but I feel like the 421 will be adequate enough to reduce room sounds, but hey, I might be wrong. As I mentioned before, I want a dynamic that is able to lower the room tone and interference, yet be detailed, open and sound 'closer' towards the condenser spectrum.

If room sound is any issue at all, then the M88 or the RE-20 would be preferable to the 421. And both reach a little higher in the frequency spectrum, although I don't think the region above 17KHz is particularly useful for vocals. But admittedly I am old school. Maybe people like hearing that in a vocal these days. If they can.......
For studio work, RE-20 is a big and impressive looking mic, and does help a lot with reducing proximity effect (maybe another thing however that is desireable today haha). M88 is pretty generic looking, but does deliver the goods sonically.
Not that it matters, but I prefer the older variants of all three mics. The new ones are not quite the same. But still nice mics.
Main thing is, in a poor room, the M88 will work best, then RE-20. (PM9 better than both on that too, but....) Good luck