View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
The landscape for licensing music reproduction rights is also behind the times. The best word to describe it is byzantine. For example, I'm a very small production guy creating sub-1-minute videos for my LinkedIn channel. Educational themed. Obviously to promote myself indirectly, but it's information for everyone that's given as a gift. I'm also a musician, so I want to take a song that's familiar to people, and is related to the theme of the video, simplify and arrange it to fit about 50-55 seconds of run time, play all the parts and produce it myself, and use it as the music track for the video. Hiring a lawyer for each video to work out contract licensing terms is ridiculously over the top. The audience is low hundreds. There is nothing commercial about the videos. So it's not worth much to me to pay for a license(s) entailing music rights companies' traditional processes.

I pay low fees to license short b-rolls, and stock photography. Why can't it work this way for licensing the music alone and let me "do it myself"? Perhaps the new law on music rights will help in this regard. Publishers are not helping us little guys to to easily pay a reasonable fee for our modest requirements.
I'm assuming you wanted to use famous songs and re-arrange/re-orchestrate them for educational purposes?

have you looked into "Fair Use"? You can actually use famous music for free without obtaining a license so long as it is for educational purposes. This is how news broadcasts, documentaries and schools can sometimes get away with using music for free.

There are a lot of stipulations and caveats to it. so you have to make sure you are strictly within the guidelines. But if your videos are to educate moreso than to promote you and your skills, then you could make the case for Fair Use. And the fact that only a couple hundred people see it, means it isn't really worth it for the publishers to try and come after you.