View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis_foster View Post
@ Etch-A-Sketch - Just to confirm, Music Vine is neither a buyout nor a royalty-free platform. I think you may be getting the wrong impression about what we do / our relationship with our artists - if I've been unclear somewhere, please do let me know.
When looking through your site your licensing terms and rate card structure is that of an RF company.

For example, look at your licensing rate card for Film/Documentary.

You have small/medium/large budget film categories... and then the clearances you have are Web, Festival, Theatrical, and Broadcast. and then you say "you can include any combination of coverage options within your license"...

But... these are all in perpetuity. What happens when I release my film on Bluray and DVD? What happens when I place the film on airlines? What happens when I place my film on VOD? What happens when I originally licensed the music for Festival but then it goes to Cable?

All of these additional payments are normally considered "royalties" by the Copyright Convention and this was why libraries were originally deemed "Royalty Free". they were in perpetuity rights all the time, for every license.

Composers, took RF to mean that there were no performance royalties, but that is not the case. Most RF sites do still pay royalties when the use is broadcast because the client licensing has no control over and does not pay the performance royalty, the network broadcasting does.

Anyway... this spawned libraries like Epidemic music which consider themselves "performance free" libraries. Instead of going after the production companies they targeted the networks, saying if you pay for our music directly and then tell your production companies to use us, then you don't have to pay performance royalties.

So when I say RF, I'm not referring to performance royalties. I'm referring to license royalties that come from additional clearances or extended licenses.

In your TV/Radio broadcast rates for adverts... where do you list the length of term? You don't. If I pay $476 for Large Budget International ad, I am then allowed to air the thing for the next 20 years! And you don't mention anything about cut downs. I can pay $476 for a 60 second spot and then edit the commercial down into 20 different 30 second and 15 second spots and not have to pay again.

That is what royalty free is. That is what you do. That is NOT what most music publishers do and music copyright law allows and expects you to charge for every little thing.

For example I just did a $30,000 TV spot for a food brand. How was it $30,000? First and foremost because the production quality and the writing were both excellent and I was able to quantify that with the client. Second, because I charged for EVERY different version of the spot, I charged for EVERY 13-week ad buy they were initially planning on doing, I charged for every broadcast classification (Local Radio, National Radio, Cable, Free TV, and Internet), and I charged for every territory. How was I able to do this? Because it's expected by the client and the ad agency. This is how it has been since the 1920's or 30's.

So yes... when I look at your rates and your licensing structure... to me, you are an RF library. You may not realize or understand that you are. But you are. You are doing the same thing as Audio Jungle, Audio Micro, Pond 5, Sound Taxi, etc.