View Single Post
Old 24th November 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysene View Post
I guess I'm interested in people's experiences / strategies with regard to like ...accepting the state of things? like say you only have X amount of time to do music cos of work / family / whatever, like how do you engage with that positively instead of just getting frustrated with all the ideas that you don't have the opportunity to realise?
I flip it around. IOW I might say to myself that there are quite probably people in the world with ideas equal to or better than mine who have zero time, zero opportunity, no job, no money, no love, etc. Or maybe consider all the young men that died in WWI, for instance. Think of all the writers, poets, philosophers, and musicians who never got the chance.

Also, bear in mind what a shame it is to spend the time you do have being frustrated. You are getting in your own way when you do that as much or more as the limitations you list. It takes some self discipline, but put such feelings aside. Switch them off and get straight to work. Your sitch may never be ideal, but progress is progress and making headway will help in not feeling frustrated.

Take a load off. You are the only one pressing the matter in the entire universe.
This world is now littered with people's music, much of which goes largely unheard. Nobody cares but you, really.

But it really will help to stay positive... and if you start fretting switch it off by getting to work on one of those ideas. It's ten times harder at least if you don't believe and think of yourself as lucky to have what time and opportunity you do have.