View Single Post
Old 29th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysene View Post
I know there are a lot of pros on here but I think a lot of hobbyists (like me) also and I just wondered like... how do you do it?

I have just turned 30, lived in Bristol for a decade before running off to the middle of nowhere (because of a girl... classic), I was a Music Technology lecturer for a few years having failed to make it making tunes / do anything significant musically, I now work some random pointless job, I have been learning a lot about sync and library music etc. and I have a good idea for a kontakt instrument and stuff and I really want to just sort my life OUT so I can actually monetise the one skill I have (lol) but it seems so impossible... like how do you deal with the possibility of spending all this time trying to construct a meaningful lifestyle and it just... doesn't work? Like a lot of musical people I know a lot of people who have made music work for them (to various extents obviously) but then even some of them it seems aren't happy doing it... sometimes it feels like if I don't write, if I don't attempt to get all these ideas out of my head etc. then my brain is going to explode but then pursuing music at the cost of everything else seems mad as well. I just do not know.

I know gearslutz probably is a dumb place to unload my brain like this but I've seen some wisdom fly about here amongst all the other stuff so I thought I'd give it a go
If you are still there and reading..a few more thoughts.

Aa a roadie buddy of mine used to say once in a while, "You don't have to be good to be in a band, and you don't have to be in a band to be good." By the same token, you don't have to monetize your *onliest* skill or pursue music at the cost of everything else in order to write and realize ideas. And if you want to go for a swim, don't spend forever on the river bank ...wondering if it's a good spot to jump in. Better watch out for the crocodiles though.

The post from krylenko is a good one. Though he/she doesn't make a living from music, it's the same as it is for many pursuits. You have to be in it to win it, and practically all that are successful give it all they have. But, again, it doesn't have to be that way just to express the music in you.