View Single Post
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
1- 100% depends on what you are doing. There are times that I’ve had 1000ms of plugin delay running while tracking and it was fine. However if I am tracking the initial groove and the part is intricate or otherwise busy I want the latency as low as possible. Getting the right feel is definitely affected by latency. However in my experience I can just adjust after things are built up and I can vibe with the track even if latency is high. So general rule for me is acoustic/electric guitar, live or finger drumming need lower latency especially when I don’t want to quantize or there is a shuffle. I just don’t like logic/reason/flstudios shuffle. I prefer to get the feel in a live mode.

2- if you had 2 macs, and one was a 2 core and one was an 8 core you can get the ~ same latency up to a point with the same interface hardware. The bigger machine will let you run lower latency longer, and it’s possible that if you want 1-3 ms latency the 8core box will always win. However as I alluded to in point 1, it’s more critical to me to get the feel right, and then I can back off the latency as the track builds or the cpu runs out of headroom.
3- it’s definitely the most powerful computer I’ve owned. I can get 1.5 ms latency with my Apollo 8 at 96 khz. I normally run it at 44.1 and get ~10-12 ms I think. It’s not something I think about really as the computer just gets out of the way. Honestly that is what I really wanted. I don’t want to have cpu anxiety, I just want to record/produce/mix. I had the 2008 Mac Pro octo core and felt the same about it. It gets out of the way.
4- I may have gotten to 50-100 tracks but the music I make or have recorded is way sparser than that question implies. I really think that the 96khz recording just helped me get the right feeling down at the early stages without having to time the latency or think about it.

Really appreciate the detailed response. Will help me towards making the right decision. Kind regards.