View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Head

how do you integrate this music thing meaningfully into your life

I know there are a lot of pros on here but I think a lot of hobbyists (like me) also and I just wondered like... how do you do it?

I have just turned 30, lived in Bristol for a decade before running off to the middle of nowhere (because of a girl... classic), I was a Music Technology lecturer for a few years having failed to make it making tunes / do anything significant musically, I now work some random pointless job, I have been learning a lot about sync and library music etc. and I have a good idea for a kontakt instrument and stuff and I really want to just sort my life OUT so I can actually monetise the one skill I have (lol) but it seems so impossible... like how do you deal with the possibility of spending all this time trying to construct a meaningful lifestyle and it just... doesn't work? Like a lot of musical people I know a lot of people who have made music work for them (to various extents obviously) but then even some of them it seems aren't happy doing it... sometimes it feels like if I don't write, if I don't attempt to get all these ideas out of my head etc. then my brain is going to explode but then pursuing music at the cost of everything else seems mad as well. I just do not know.

I know gearslutz probably is a dumb place to unload my brain like this but I've seen some wisdom fly about here amongst all the other stuff so I thought I'd give it a go
Show replies