View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
We already live in a world of no industry standard. Everyone automatically asks "what DAW do you use, do you need it bounced to audio or can I send the session" for collabs.
I swear, no one ever asks me that question! They send us Pro Tools sessions and we send Pro Tools sessions back. People walk into the studio with a hard drive and guess what's on that hard drive? ccmdav is not alone in experiencing a segment of the business where Pro Tools is not only the standard, it is the default. It is assumed. The only difference between him and me is that he resents it, and I like Pro Tools and I don't mind staying in it. He only keeps it around because it is necessary to receive work.

He at least understands that if you want that work, you do not ask your potential client to jump through the hoop of consolidating the wavs for you! You get a copy of Pro Tools and consolidate the wavs yourself! And you send it back to him in the format that he expects.
Quote:
The extra step that sometimes happens is having to bounce audio tracks for the person you're sending to.
Rendered wavs are fine if you are burning your bridges behind you. It is one "extra step" only if the movement of the session is one-way. Otherwise it is multiple extra steps. For example, if you are done tracking and you are going to send to someone else to mix. But when files are being sent here to get some guitars and there to get keyboards and then back here to redo some vocals, doing the 'render dance' back and forth back and forth gets old pretty fast. It is also very useful when the client's levels, pans, preliminary automation and other stuff is kept throughout and does not need to be 'reconstructed' at the end.

What if the editor is not the guy who did the tracking? When was the last time you exported not only the main playlist but all the alternates? Now how many 'steps' is that? Keeping it all in PT means all the alternate playlists remain intact as well. Punches visible and auto-numbered, muted sections are muted but still visible. How do you render that? That can be huge for some clients. Some clients even bring their iLoks so they can open the session with their plugs.

Another one: You probably operate your "own" studio. But commercial studios often have staff. If every commercial studio used a different DAW and someone needed a substitute engineer for a day, this studio would need to search for a Cubase engineer and that studio would need to advertise for a Logic engineer. Considering how last-minute some of these freelance gigs are, it could end badly for everyone involved. What a huge advantage to only have to say: "we need an engineer for Saturday afternoon" and everyone understands what kind of engineer you are talking about. And there's a large pool of people trained in PT to draw from. They got that training because they wanted to be eligible for that kind of gig.

Quote:
No one has to know more than one DAW, and everyone can use whatever they want
You may be missing a sense of what the word "industry" in "industry standard" implies. It does not mean how many copies of each DAW Guitar Center sells. It does not mean buddies collaborating on a song. Or a one-way trip to the mix engineer. It's not about having the "best" DAW. The word "industry" is about business, and there are still people in the world doing this as a business and for whom interoperability is critically important.