View Single Post
Old 4th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovdub View Post
Hello All,

Ran the test on both my machines:

MBP Late 2013 i7 2Ghz 8gb Ram - 30 Tracks
MacPro (Trash Can) Quad 3.7ghz 32GB Ram - 49 Tracks

Pretty cool comparison but I'm a newb so I have to ask. I see some posts in here that they are running 100+ tracks with no issues. In the real world, whats a typical project contain and do we have a consensus on what is a good #? (i.e. what is a # where we wont throw our computer out the window while working) I ask bc some of us may be looking to throw the the trash can in the trash and replace with another solution or just upgrade in general. This test most certainly helps get some real world benchmarking. Thanks all!
Jacob Collier did projects with a Mac probably not as fast as mine (30 tracks- see below) yet he got hundreds of simple tracks, then started freezing.

People made great albums with way slower and limited machines. There are limits, and then you start compromising slightly ( freezing, bouncing, stems etc) wich can even help commit.

No one can judge what is good enough for someone else, it's also a matter of comfort. I guess Collier now has a MacPro with way less limits ( virtual instruments all over, track count, plugins, etc etc) but his old macbook never stopped him from being a genius, praised by Quincy and the whole world. gigantic high number of tracks and automation all produced in his small room.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 4th October 2018 at 06:53 PM..