View Single Post
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
There's no reason the amount of bandwidth of a source would determine the best microphone to use.
well, kind of: we tend to use mics with specific functions/bandwith on specific instruments. technical 'best mic' may not mean 'best sound' - and bandwith of toms is limited...

Quote:
How much bandwidth does a kick drum have? Yet many like to use U47 FET on them
nice mic! there is a fundamental difference in the importance (and bandwith) of the kick compared to toms unless you are ginger... (i had this before)

Quote:
As far as bleed, condensers can have just as tight a pattern as a dynamic mic, as well as figure 8, etc.
true but you end up with more cymbal sound in condenser mics on toms even when using the same tight patterns (and very tight means more pronounced rear lobe)

Quote:
I once owned an AT4060 and found it quite nice on percussive instruments. I never had the chance, but bet it would be excellent on toms, roto toms, congas, etc.
another nice mic and i'm sure it will yield nice results on percussion instruments - i was referring to the use of condensers on toms within a drumset, so mostly a minimum if two toms, kick, snare, hat, ride, two crashes, room mics - how many condensers do you really need/want? plus some people simply cannot dedicate their more prestigious mics to less important instruments...

my point is: use just any dynamic mic on toms and you'll be fine! (and on hats too...)