View Single Post
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
The synced machine lets you record to tape to begin with, then control and edit everything on your daw. You get the best of both worlds.
It depends on how you work, but for me one of the great strengths of digital is that it makes tracking, comping, and editing so easy. Therefore it makes the most sense to start digital for an easy, flexible tracking workflow, and then to dump to tape for the sound. That's the best of both worlds imo. And it doesn't require sync.

Quote:
If a song is 3 minutes you think 3 minutes every 4 tracks is a nightmare and NOT WORTH a beautiful tape sound, WHAT? I already listen to my mixes 50 frickin times just toying with mixes, it wouldn't bother me a bit waiting 3 minutes while 4 tracks records over to the daw, 12 tracks takes 9 minutes, and that's NOT worth the beauty of quarter inch tape sound? Sorry, but it would be worth it to me and everyone in to recording that I know.
Yeah if I'm in the middle of tracking that's going to kill my workflow. Say I'm tracking guitars on a song with two guitar parts. I might do 2 or 3 takes on separate tracks for each part and comp them together later. Maybe more if I'm still writing and trying out ideas. With a DAW you can also loop sections, jump around instantaneously, and do all sorts of things that tape can't do. It makes more sense to do all of your tracking in the computer, finish comping and editing, and then dump it to tape.

Imagine recording drums with 3 mics. You do one take and you're ready for the next, but now you have to wait not just to rewind the tape but also to dump your last take back to the computer in realtime and then rewind again a second time before you can do a second take? Not a fun workflow.

Quote:
Ever listen to guys like Art Feynman (Luke Temple) who was in a recent Tape Op article? Here's a couple links. This guy thinks it's such a nightmare he chooses to use a Tascam cassette 4 track because he loves the sound of even cassette tape.
YouTube
YouTube

He doesn't even have sync and is still willing to run 4 tracks over to daw and then back out to tape to keep recording.
Yeah exactly, you don't need a new device! You don't need sync. You can do this right now, just buy a tape machine.

Quote:
2 track would be double the waiting, still worth it but 4 tracks would be preferrable. 4 tracks on 1/4 inch would be wonderful qualiity.
So buy something like a Tascam 34b or any other 1/4" 4 track.