View Single Post
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
Les, the ADI-2 is only a 2 channel device.

When RME talk about ADAT, they are not talking about 8 channels, they just mean you can use ADAT toslink ports to send 2 channels.

You don't have a multi-channel interface. You have a 2 channel interface.

So the solution put forward by Ells is exactly what you would do if you wanted to connect your devices.

It sounds as though you're a bit confused about the difference between toslink connections and adat as a protocol.

If I'm missing something obvious here then feel free to set me straight!
Hi Quetz, I think you are thinking of the ADI-2, not the ADI-2 Pro. I actually have an ADI-2 Pro, and it is not a 2 channel device. It has 2 channels of AD and 4 channels of DA, and it also has SPDIF I/O, AES/EBU I/O, and optical I/O which is switchable between SPDIF and ADAT. These can all be used simultaneously when using the ADI-2 Pro as an interface. So far, it sounds similar to a Lynx Hilo or a Prism Lyra 2. Unfortunately, unlike those boxes, RME decided to only allow access to 2 channels through the optical interface, even when switched to ADAT.

I also have used a UFX for many years that I will be replacing, and I was hoping the Camden box was a possibility. But the lack of SPDIF coax or AES/EBU is a showstopper for me. It still sounds like it will be a great box!