View Single Post
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

LLP Database Update: June 2018 :

Some additions, updates and amendments.

(* Sorry guys the full chart picture is not displaying via the embedded link, maybe the file is too large ? )

Direct link as an interim solution until I resolve the issue.

Chart 1 Here

Added.

RME Babyface Pro : Class leading LLP performance on par with all of the other RME USB2 siblings .

Lower overall RTL due to the respective converters used.

Not much else to say past same ole same ole from RME.

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre : With all of the recent buzz with the RME and Presonus Thunderbolt units, and the increased focus on Thunderbolt in general , I was expecting these units to be in a similar ballpark , but unfortunately they are not on the same level as the other 2 units.

I/O and RTL is actually higher than the Scarlett USB2 unit, ( once we use the USB2 corrected values). The results for the I/O and measured RTL is kind of in between the USB2 panel/corrected settings, so not as easy to say that it is one panel setting out like I figured out on the USB2 units. Check out the graphs and you will see what I am referring to.

Performance on the benchmarks is comparatively higher per respective buffer setting, but we are dealing with higher playback latency , so its a balancing act. In the end , as noted the unit does have measurably higher I/O and RTL at the preferred working latencies , which needs to be taken into account by those looking at the unit.

This highlights what I have maintained all along, that Thunderbolt in itself is not going to automatically deliver PCIe performance , it will come down to the driver/controller implementation.

Presonus Studio 68 : These are the new series of Studio Interfaces directly replacing the older VSL range, are USB 2.0 and are using the XMOS controller, but the new thesycon driver does not have the same characteristics of the driver used on the 192 series or the previous USB units.

The Settings on the control panel dial all the way back to 16 Samples , which is little more than Window dressing IMO as it has the same playback latency for 016, 032 and 064, yes you read that correctly. If you check the playback latency of the above graph on 032 and 064, playback for both is 2.857ms reported ( its higher as the DA is not being reported ). Same playback was listed for 16, only the input levels are different ( 2.426ms on the 16 sample setting I did not include in the testing ).

With the identical playback latency I would have expected the delivered performance would be identical ( which it is on the DSP test at 032/064 ) , but that isn't the case. At 16 samples the DAWbench DSP plugin total was about 20 lower and the VI test failed to playback at all. The VI results for 032 and 064 are also different , so there isn't any consistency at the same reported playback latency for the 3 buffer settings There is obviously some other variables underlying the 3 different settings that are not immediately obvious.

Latency and overall performance at the respective latencies is O.K, better than then 192 series , the driver does run out of steam at the higher buffer settings which is another oddity that goes against the norm.

So a bit of a mixed bag.

Updated.

Audient ID22 : Apart from an additional buffer setting being offered with V4, ( that doesn't really correlate to anything resembling the 032 Buffer its supposed to be representing ) , 064-512 buffer settings have actually increased I/O and RTL over the earlier 1.6 driver. Performance at the respective buffer settings is slightly better at V4 but it isn't anything to be promoting as a significant improvement IMO. Also take note that the reported playback latency is identical for 032/064 ( also the same for 016 , as it was on the Presonus Studio 68 tested previously ). Despite that, there was a difference in delivered performance at the higher buffer setting, indicating other variables at play. Also take note of the significantly higher RTL over the reported I/O over an above AD/DA . I suspect that is due to the additional hidden buffers attributed to the DSP Mixer.

Nothing really new, Thesycon shuffling the deck chairs behind some smoke and mirrors.

Audient ID4 : Performance is now similar to the ID22 ( being the same universal V4 driver ). As previously outlined, with V3 the iD4 completely collapsed using the Minimal Safety Buffer setting that was available on the earlier drivers , forcing me to use the Low Safety Buffer which then eliminated the 064 Buffer setting availability. So obviously V4 is an improvement over V3 with overall performance now on par to upper models.

Thats it for now, I'll keep you up to date with what ever crosses my desk.

Last edited by TAFKAT; 14th June 2018 at 01:38 PM..