View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018
Here for the gear

bitleyTM I was setting up a desk in my new room and every time your song ended I went over there and hit the replay button. So yeah, I liked it.

I wish I had something to show but I only just recently got into the mindset of trying to make things professional quality. So even if I did have anything finished, I haven't taken the time to plan out how I'm going to try to publicize my stuff.

I have been using FL Studio for years. I would say that its biggest feature is the free lifetime updates. I know because of that it kind of becomes a common "Baby's first DAW," a lot of new producers flock to it. The result is that it's kind of a tool that a lot of people, even big names, USED TO use, and when you pile that on top of the fact that a lot of amateurs release stuff from it... It's easy to get the impression that it's a tool you're supposed to graduate from.

However, I think it has everything you need to stick with it and I am very excited about the fact that FL 20 is Mac compatible. I hope this causes it to gain more traction in the professional world.

People complain about the workflow. In a way, it lacks workflow by itself, but allows you create your own workflow if you take the time to learn how to use it. For example, I know people HATE when you create pretty much a whole song in one pattern in FL, however, it's great that it lets you do that, if it works for you then it works for you. When I do classical music I go light on the playlist and heavy on the patterns, when I do electronic music my patterns are light and my playlists are heavy.

I will admit, it has its shortcomings. One of the biggest issues for new users is accidentally creating automation and not knowing how to get rid of it. The customization is amazing though. For example, there is a plugin called Patcher that allows you to route all the channel and mixer plugins together within itself in any complex arrangement you want.

I have never run into a limitation. I think anyone who doesn't use a lot of presets is going to create stuff that "just sounds like FL." I think a lot of people hear Fruity Reeverb 2 and recognize it. So if you want your music to not sound like it was obviously made in FL, at least use the built in convolution reverb instead.

I can't really see any case where FL would make somebody a bad producer. I think it's really a money thing. Brand new producers buy FL because it makes the most economical sense. Brand new producers don't make good music. If they are going for the cheaper options, chances are they also have to use soundfonts instead of libraries and that they can't afford MIDI controllers or digital pianos. Like really, DAW or no DAW, there's no better workflow booster than having an instrument to play.