View Single Post
Old 11th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
Wow. Been in the biz for nearly two decades and never heard of NR! I have about 1200 copyrights going back many years, all with major libraries. You reckon it could be worthwhile then?

Would you mind if I PM'd you for the info on an organization to collect them? You seem to have a great knowledge of the industry and I would place alot of value on your recommendation. I am based in the UK btw.

p.s. A colleague just asked me if this would annoy publishers. I don't understand it enough to answer but anyone a thought on that?

Many thanks.
Oh, it's also not really based on how many copyrights you have. It's whether you are listed as the artist/performer of those copyrights.

That is why library music makes so much money from NR for the composers (since composers are their own artists and performers on most of their works), but things like film scoring does not make ANY money for the composers because the composers are not listed as "artists" or "performers" on most of their works by the film production company.

so it really depends on what types of music you did and how they were used. Not all uses pay NR and it varies from country to country. Maybe only in-show programming gets NR in one country but in-show and TV commercials get NR in another country? As far as I know it's not standardized... and the rates vary. Some countries pay more for NR than others.

Also with neighboring rights... 50% goes to the record label, 45% goes to the listed performing artist, 5% goes to all other listed supporting musicians. So if you played/programmed all the parts for your compositions then you get the 45% as the artist and the 5% as the musician.

Performances royalties are split 50% publisher, 50% writer. Neighboring Rights royalties are split 50% record label (not publisher), 50% artist/performer (not writer).

This is where someone like a Beyonce comes in... she is the artist but not the writer for a lot of her songs. So she makes the NR royalties but not the PRO royalties. Likewise her label would make the NR royalties but are not entitled to any PRO royalties.