View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

Hi strings n sax:

Quote:
we run everything from a laptop, so I don't need the midi interface. I think if I get a USB to DMX interface like the Entec Open DMX USB, and something like DMX Control or Freestyler, I should be able to program a midi track for each song...?
Yes, I think using a laptop, particularly if you use a DAW for your backing tracks, should open up a lot more alternatives. You may be able to use some DMX software 'directly' for your lighting automation, not involving MIDI at all. In my case I want to avoid using a laptop, since we already have a solid system using iPads to play backing tracks (previously created on an DAW), display synchronized lyrics & chords, and play MIDI for simple guitar & vocal fx patch automation. To keep it simple (less potential points of failure), I want to also control the lights through the MIDI files.

Quote:
do you know how much cpu load these free dmx programs use?
No, but I'd guess they are not too bad since there's nothing like audio codecs involved. I suspect most DMX event playback not a lot more taxing than MIDI, which I've had working fine even in the 80s on the original IBM PC.