View Single Post
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
This is a proper head-turner.

I've never been tempted by the 500 series but these combo units are really forcing me to pay attention.

I have a few questions if that's ok, although they're a bit more rudimentary than the others

First off though, if you could include some zoomable hi-res images on your site so I/we can read the type on the faceplate properly, that would be cool

1. Are these (500R8) really going to go for a little over a Grand? I appreciate that you won't confirm pricing until closer to launch date, but seems to me that if the converters and clock are at the spec you say (which I am happy to accept), even without the 500 module capability this is good value.
Which brings me to:

2. What's the latest you envision being able to ship the R8?

3. With the USB interface, there's 28 in and 30 out, plus 16 adat in/out?
How can that in/out be configured?
If I had a standalone 8 channel ADAT A/D unit for example, could I have that going into the R8 adat in, then route those channels directly to the 500 modules before it hits the daw, or would they be routed into the daw then I'd need to send them out again to the modules via USB?
I'm assuming it's the former otherwise you wouldn't need so many USB in channels?
With the ADAT only version, the website states 16 channels also, but doesn't specify if it's 8 in/out or 16 in/out.
I can see there are two ports each for in and out, but are the second ones there just for S/MUX?

4. I've got fam in Herts - if I drop by on launch day with cake, can I get a discount?

Urgh, too many questions!

Thanks for answering any of them
Hey Quetz!

Thanks for the questions mate! There's never too many to answer!

Imagery and faceplate wise, I'm currently putting together an improved website (the current one was a bit 'slap-dash', just to get us through NAMM). The units have changed a lot cosmetically since NAMM and so once the site is up and the latest images have been uploaded you'll be able to see the front panel and the new switches in glorious HD.

The 500R8, in the UK - will be *around* the £1200-1300 mark. There's still a few bits to smooth out until that can be 100% confirmed but the figure will likely not deviate drastically. Standalone converters that match our quality would easily double that!

We're currently undergoing final hardware layout and part finalisation now. We'll be ordering "pre-production" units this month and are on-track to be shipping in the summer.

The audio interface is now 26/28 (as we removed SPDIF, as mentioned earlier) but yes that includes up to 16 channels of ADAT. We have 2 input and 2 output ports but they are addressed individually, so you can split the channel count between two different ADAT expanders if you want but the max channel count is 16 channels @ 44.1/48kHz, 8 channels @ 88.2/96, and 4 channels @ 192kHz.

On the R8, the ADAT I/Os are sent directly to the DAW for recording and playback and so you would have to play-back those sources through your modules to apply the processing. The 500ADAT's ADAT outputs are post-modules and so your lovely analogue 500 series stuff will affect whats being sent out and recorded.

If you were to theoretically buy both units - there's also a CAST port that links the monitoring and analogue summing paths of the 500R8 and 500ADAT to give you a total of 16 channels of recording, analogue summing, playback through 500 series slots, and the ability to create a monitor mix of sources from both units - they integrate rather nicely.

I'm based in glorious hertfordshire, but my colleagues live closer to the concrete jungle. All cake donations are gratefully received

Hope this helps,

Let me know if you have any followups!

Elliott

Last edited by Ells; 1st May 2018 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Typos