View Single Post
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'd like to ask you the DYNAMIC RANGE specs for adc and dac, please (not thd and not signal to noise) ?
"Dynamic range" is a spec that gets used differently by different manufacturers and depends on how you are weighting when measuring, what THD % you are allowing, etc.. Signal-to-noise ratio and THD are the more useful/objective numbers for A/D converters.

I can answer your question by saying our dynamic range is 121dB for the A/D conversion and 127dB for the D/A conversion as our limiting factor is the A/D converters. Our analogue stages are between 0.00002-0.00004% THD so they could accommodate a higher dynamic range if the converters could do it.

Quote:
Again, I'm aware that these are just numbers and that not necessarily translate in a great sounding unit.. Because that comes from a combination of the 3 core parts of a converter (or any audio unit really).. analog stages with quality components and well designed, clock, pwr supply.
Well you're right that A/D and D/A numbers don't tell the whole story. But if you look at the numbers for clock, power supply, analogue design, and converters - you have a good idea how it performs.

Our clock, as an example, is master reference-quality with < 0.5 picoseconds of jitter. And we have very clean power going to the various rails we need- both analogue and digital - we don't mix the ground planes and power of the digital and analogue sides. Fairly obvious one for us but you see a lot of the USB interfaces that use the PGA2500 (50%+ of the USB interfaces out there?) mixing the 5V rails for the analogue and digital side. Which is a bad bad bad...

Quote:
Prism for exemple have rather low numbers for this "days and age" but their ada8xr or the dream converters are still among the best.
I'm also aware that this is a product with a price to meet, of course and it's not comparable to those.
Actually, our goal and intention was to provide conversion and clock of the quality of Prism, Lynx, and other top manufacturers. And the 500R8 and 500ADAT are looking like they will meet the clock accuracy and sound quality of these sorts of interfaces. But I'll leave it in your guys ears to assess that when they're available