View Single Post
Old 12th April 2018 | Show parent

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Here’s the thing. Even if you get an instrument that’ll give you multitimbral functionality, unless you have a way to put a threshold on aftertouch, you’ll have a problem. On a Roli, there is no aftertouch. It’s alwaystouch. So, if you want to apply some vibrato to a pad, prepare to have that vibrato always on to some degree. If you want to control your filter cutoff, you will be sad that the initial strike of the key is sh!tting all over your envelope that’s also controlling it. I’ve sent multiple requests for this to be something that can be at least set up in the control app, but all I get is, “I’ll pass the idea along.” So... nothing. This not only makes the Rolis difficult to use with hardware, it’s difficult to use with most software, even MPE compatable software.
This just strikes me as the wrong -- er, not the most productive -- way to approach an MPE controller. I would say: if you want to apply some vibrato to a pad, wiggle your finger(s). If you want to control filter cutoff, apply pressure directly to filter cutoff, or maybe to a filter envelope with short attack & 100% sustain; when you want the filter open wider, press harder. Don't use velocity for anything but attack transients.

I play LinnStrument; that, and my previous experience with wind controllers, made it very evident to me that most synths are designed with standard keyboards in mind, even though there's nothing inherently keyboardish about synthesis. This struck me even with Equator: it has fantastic modulation capabilities for MPE signals with up to 4 custom curves per dimension per patch, but the vast majority of patches seem oriented to keyboard players who want to bend the occasional note and apply poly aftertouch to fiddle with the tone a bit. So far, Bazille (which I've had for a lot longer than Equator) is my main go-to softsynth, and my spider sense hasn't tingled enough for any of the hard synths folks have mentioned to take the plunge.