View Single Post
Old 25th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I don't think you being trans (or me not being trans) should come into the equation at all... Just find "people" to make music with... If they trip over that, f*** them. I guess I'd suggest looking up their social media before you meet with them, but, that's just a general safety thing.

As a big, corn fed white boy who only cared about "black" music for most of the time when I was coming up, I really got to love walking into some super duper black jazz or r&b/blues joint in a black neighborhood and playing/singing my butt off. The black folks would usually start with a raised eyebrow, but, in the end once I showed I dug the music and cared about playing well and that I wasn't tripping over what they looked like, all was great!

Make it all about the music and try not to inject your own preconceptions or hang ups upon folks until they come at you sideways. For instance, just because some dude is a white power idiot doesn't mean that he's also down on all LGTBQ folks. I mean, I wouldn't hang out or play music with an idiot like that, but, if he was cool and could play AND I couldn't find anyone else I might try to make the best out of it and see if I couldn't get his mind right... Especially in a tiny town
Now I have thought about that idea and the issue is my safety. I have been threatened, had guns pointed at me, too many times I would like to since coming out. I'm not risking it with these people. But the other issue with that is that I can't get a word out of them. For the most part I'm pretty normal, especially compared to some of the people in the metal scene. I miss our last drummer so god damn much. I came out to him and he came out to me as Bi. and then beat the hell out of those drums. Also I wouldn't want to be rolling with some bigots. My bands lyrics has often anti bigoted pov.