View Single Post
Old 25th January 2018
Not responding to be "anti", just a little counterpoint, and with all due respect. I listen to your soundcloud frequently btw nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
A bit surprised to read so much about COST in the modular subforum...

How many more modules/grands do you guys want to amass and what it is really adding to your music? ;-)

Don't even get me started on the voices or "analog"...
Well, for my part I am working on a very specific plan for my modular case. If I decide to buy more modules after I reach that goal remains yet to be seen. I'm not really one for the next "latest and greatest" so much as fulfilling my vision.
Quote:
Most of us have reached saturation point when it comes to gear a long time ago. So either this "fixed architecture synth" (really??) is interesting me and I feel like it will be inspiring (for a while), and then I'll check my finances, or it won't.
That's a little bit of generalizing as far as saturation is concerned. Again, for my part, I have sold almost everything I have owned on my "quest" so in one way I have downsized significantly. Anyone seeing my setup would wonder where my poly synths are. I've owned some doozies in my time but I find modular far more interesting than yes, "fixed architecture" synths. It's not a pejorative, just a distinction.

Quote:
Whether it is all software or not is so missing the point IMO. If it comes to that, run reaktor on a laptop and conquer the synth world.
And for the price of a Quantum you pretty much could. That isn't missing the point in this case, it is the point. Unlike most modular, this thing really is a sophisticated controller with a powerful computer inside, and the guy said it himself that a lot of the features were from preexisting software. on this part I respectfully disagree, he made no statement that equaled "this can do more than a controller hooked up to a computer with Waldorf software" to me. Even the touchscreen could emulated with an ipad as a controller and there you have it.
Quote:
So, for me, with a plethora of synths, modulars of all kinds, this is VERY interesting. If it sounds great and isn't too crippled by bugs, I will try to find some space in the studio. Because if done right, it will just be so inspiring with its user interface and (compared to computers) "limitations" that I will create lots of cools sounds on it that will hopefully lead to some great tracks and tons of fun.
You already make great tracks without it so I cannot doubt this one bit.
Quote:
So, a big thumbs up from me for the quantum and to waldorf for doing it.