View Single Post
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

For those perhaps less familiar with the workflow of Console...

Essentially, no matter what you do, the "Channel" plugins (one in every channel) must all be summing at the "Bus" plugin.

Individual tracks, auxes, etc:

EQ, compression, volume automation, etc as normal
|
Console5Channel

Master bus:

Console5Bus
|
EQ, compression, volume automation, etc as normal

So if you are doing fader moves and automation in your individual tracks, they need to be happening BEFORE you enter the entire Console system, i.e. the Channel plugin. Think of it as connecting a patch cable from each channel output to the master bus.

I can describe two workflows that allow you to keep working the way you always did, and take full advantage of Airwindows Console plugins. I imagine other users probably have other ideas too.

1. Put Console5Channel on the POST-fader insert slots, at the END of every channel. Put Console5Bus first on your master bus. Do your usual thing and prepare to be amazed.

If your DAW doesn't have post-fader inserts:

2. For every single individual track, create a secondary track named "Output x". Feed the original tracks to their respective output channels. Those output channels feed the master bus. Put Console5Channel on all these output channels, with their faders and pans all at unity. Now you can hide all those output channels from view, and do all your effects, panning, and fader moves on the original channels as you normally would. Oh and of course Console5Bus first on the master!

Individual track (Mix as normally would)
|
Secondary track (with Console5Channel, fader and pans at unity)
|
Master bus (with Console5Channel followed by your usual master bus chain)

You simply need to think: NO VOLUME CHANGES between Channel and Bus plugins. Whatever you do on your individual tracks is fine, it just needs to happen BEFORE you enter Console5.

However, the above is the purest possible experience of what Console does. You can by all means place EQ, reverb, compression etc inside the summing, but it may or may not give the results you expected.

Personally I haven't looked under the hood much with version 5 much, but consider how version 4 works: Channel reduces dynamic range (via soft clipping) and Bus massively expands dynamic range (by re-introducing those clipped dynamics across a much broader output range). I believe Console5 is crushing/expanding frequency response as well as dynamics, but it's still too early to be sure exactly what voodoo Chris has put in this thing anybody got any clues from usage so far?

The beauty of Airwindows is freedom to experiment. Once you've gotten the idea of how it does what it does, you should by all means see what happens when you move things around.

Happy to provide a Reaper template if needed?