View Single Post
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
Many of that age group didn't grow up with computers, and managed to avoid them until they were in their 30's and 40's - contrast this with kids today who have used computers from infanthood. Stark difference. This is just a generalization of course, there are inevitably exceptions on both sides.
When I was in my late sixties I used to teach old people to use computers (in the local public libraries) and my oldest pupils were in their nineties!!! I started on computers in the days of DEC minis. Used one of the pre-release versions of Protools harware/software in the mid eighties, so I had experience in both camps. Made my first released record in the 1960s on a full track mono machine with 2 mic inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
And yes, kiddiwinks today are generally more ignorant of traditional recording techniques than the oldiwonks! They have a pretty shady grasp of how tracks were recorded before the age of DAW's. They're generally blown away by the idea, for example, that hardware constraints meant you couldn't just throw your 1176 on every track simultaneously, and they have trouble understanding how such great mixes were achievable without the ability to sidechain everything to everything else and without being able to throw an instance of Pro-Q on every track.
I remember back in the day being blown away watching this guy edit individual tracks of 2" tape - with a razor blade! Also the legendary Otto at Rockfield, field-repairing AKG C12s in mid-session!