View Single Post
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Guru

Which audio interface do you use - official roll call 2017 A.D.

From the DAW thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Enjoyed this poll, could we also do one about which audio interfaces people use, I'm always curious about this, software,.. meh most people have copies of all of it, not so with interfaces, I'd love to see what peoples alliegiance's are with this important piece of hardware..
It's not a poll because there are so many models and brands, but hey, fire away.

RME Fireface 802 - a better 800 running via USB. RME's matrix and mixer is second to none. Love it, using it with an ADA8200.

Before that in chronological order:

- Roland Quad Capture - nice operation and light-weight, portable, great for DJ sets but ultimately too small. Kinda stupid that the headphone always duplicates outputs 1/2 so you need an SPDIF box to get analog stereo out and in.
- Yamaha MG166CX-USB - no ASIO drivers, only 2 in, 2 out. The final nail in the coffin for my idea that I work better with mixers.
- RME Fireface 800 - the classic, but Firewire wasn't playing nicely with my computer every time. It had to go to fund more expensive stuff and since I wasn't doing multitracking aggressively at that moment, I figured that wasn't a problem. Still holds its value very well!
- Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ Firewire - well, that was a disappointment. As a mixer; fine. As audio interface; not so much.
- 2005ish: E-mu 1212m - very useful and functional, but I never used the E-mu effects. Still, it did the job admirably, even though setting up basic routing was confusing.
- 2003ish: Hoontech DSP2000 C-Port - obtuse routing and the company went out of business a few years later. Never got it to work the way it should've - probably should've bought an M-Audio Delta 66 or better, an RME HDSP. The latter would probably have saved me spending a boatload of money, but hindsight is 20/20.