View Single Post
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Convincing Clients to keep it simple

I had forgot you worked with Stapleton until someone brought it up in here. I was working on a project that was in the same vein as a lot of the songs on Traveller right after it came out. When I sent out the mixes, he referenced a song off that album and asked me why I couldn't make it sound like that song.

My initial reaction went back to the recording stage when I kept trying to get him to keep things simple, but he insisted on layering multiple acoustic and electric guitar tracks, then went to another studio a few months later to add some more stuff last minute. I constantly find myself fighting musicians to keep things simpler, less track and stripped back. Do you have any advise on navigating that sort of thing?

I know I can always just press "mute", but the problem seems bigger than that. The common fear is that "my album is going to sound small", but it's like running into a brick wall trying to convince a lot of people that less can be more. You've always been good at that in your productions and mixes, do I just need to learn to be a better diplomat early on in production?