View Single Post
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Current Soundfield mics are the SPS200( standalone mic that requires you to supply 4 channels of gain-matched preamp. A-format conversion to B-format and stereo/Surround in computer via software), ST-450 MKll (mic plus dedicated analog preamp/processor that
outputs B-Format plus stereo decode at line level plus headphone output. The stereo decode (line level and headphone)
can be adjusted continuously to any pattern from omni to fig 8 with stereo
angle continuously variable between 0 and 180 deg. The B-format can also be decoded with computer software to stereo/ surround. The highest quality
(quietest, best phase accuracy) are DSf-1 (and broadcast oriented DSF-B). Their dedicated preamp/processor uses digital processing that helps to give its superior
phase accuracy and quietness. The DSF-1 outputs B-format and a stereo decode
in AES digital plus a headphone output.
The preamp/processor can decode to stereo with the same flexibility as the ST450 plus you can virtually rotate the mic.
Unlike most AF condensers that are susceptible to popping noises in humid
environments, the ST450 and DSF mics
are relatively immune as they both have
heaters within the microphone.
I own a DSF-1 and the first version of the ST450 and am happy to answer questions.
I just love the idea of having the gain-matched preamps, there is so much that can be done when everything is perfectly balanced. If you have some time, I'd like to understand the "zoom" functions that are available. For example, most of the time I can't place the surround sound mic where I'd like to, it's often about 8 feet from what I'd think would be the optimal listening position (i.e. let's say there was a discussion and I want the mic to be situated in the middle of the discussion, but often I need to put it out of the way a bit so it doesn't interfere with camera's filming).

I really need to also download the AAX plugin, it all just looks like great stuff, I'm kind of gear lusting over the SPS200.