View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake View Post
Maybe I understand now and I'll answer even more.
For me, I like contrast. High contrast, contradistinction. So I need gear that will allow me to capture and create that environment.
B&W example= A beautiful soft voice/song/performance contrasted with a tough/lo fi recording of it, or vice versa. Sometimes within the song, other times within the album as a whole (exampl. song1=crunchy, song2=clean, song 3= mixed bag etc..)
If everything sounds absolutely pristine I loose interest as I do if it all sounds crunchy or lo fi. I like these disparate sounds to co-habitate as they sometimes do out in the world, pulling my emotions every which way.
I used to record construction sites because of this. Brutal loud clangs mixed with soft hums of diggers and hissing of water jets, mixed with beautiful echoey squeals of rubbing steel all bouncing around a mud pit. Live and dead at the same time. Incredible.
That's what I require for a recorded emotional landscape.
That's a great answer. It's not quite the kind of thing I thought you might say, but it had the same result of letting me see someone else's perspective which gives me something to mull over for a while and maybe modify and adopt.

Thanks!