View Single Post
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Delay is definitely an area where there's no single plugin that seems to do it all. In fact, it's kind of strange how even basic features are frequently left out of otherwise very fancy delay plugins.

When I don't need to color the sound, my go-to is the relatively ancient Waves SuperTap, which I don't think has been mentioned by anyone. It makes it very easy to construct custom rhythmic echo patterns with full control over the panning of individual taps, which to my mind is a very important, fundamental feature that for example, EchoBoy does not have. (And don't even get me started on EchoBoy's atrocious GUI.)

In fact, unless I'm mistaken the only one of the "Top 10" plugins above that gives you a comparable amount of control over individual taps is UVI Relayer. Relayer is very powerful and goes beyond SuperTap in many ways, but something about its interface for editing the timing of echoes is very awkward to me.

For example, the units of time in the pattern editor of Relayer are always expressed in terms of fractional intervals between taps, where 1/1 corresponds to whatever duration is set with the master delay time knob. This is incredibly frustrating because you constantly have to mentally calculate the true value of the delay for each tap while adjusting them. I don't know what the heck UVI was thinking with that. Different strokes for different folks I guess.