View Single Post
Old 16th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Saw one promoted as "Kickstarter Gold" recently where they made a fuss about a modern recording done on wax cylinder you could get and how it was "recorded without electricity":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=NewsACJul0617

For me it's a lot of fuss about nothing because I've watch videos about how old gramophones worked and how early recordings were made, and you can buy old original wax cylinders for a lot less money if you really want one.

I even seen a "Stroh violin" that is a violin with a horn specifically used for gramophone recording...Lindsey Sterling played a reproduction of the Stroh in her video "Roundtable Rival":
He had me with this paragraph (about different release forms of his projects)...

Quote:
1. BY POPULAR DEMAND (10" vinyl record)
My first album. The eight songs on BY POPULAR DEMAND were recorded without electricity onto wax cylinder then transferred to analog tape; the tape output went directly to the record lathe. The music that you hear from your speakers, from recording to pressing, never entered the digital medium and is a completely physical, analog experience. The goal was to create an entire release using processes and techniques that existed pre-1900; [...]
[bolded to emphasize ironic elements]

So I guess it only makes sense that his wax cylinder release will be accompanied by an mp3 version -- so the purchasers who don't have a wax cylinder player (ah, but I'll bet they've had handlebar moustaches within the last 5 years!) will nonetheless be able to hear it.

BTW, when I was a kid in a summer school science class, the teacher brought in a wax cylinder recorder and we did some very lo fi recording (the wax was old and brittle so especially bad). I got volunteered to be recorded doing a recitation (I'm betting part of Lincoln's Gettysburg address which a lot of kids memorized in those days [we didn't have smart phones so we had to work hard to entertain ourselves]).

All that aside, I did find this 'making-of' vid and I thought it was really interesting.

PS... I REALLY wanted to see what he did with the harp strings on the big ass hybrid guitar/harp thing -- but all he was doing was playing cowboy chords on the conventional part of it and they didn't even use it in the recording. I do have to say I preferred the performance once it had been through the cylinder recording proces; the extreme 'distancing' served it well. Was a bit o' flutter, though.

Last edited by theblue1; 16th July 2017 at 06:08 PM..