View Single Post
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
As producers/engineers/studio owners etc. I think it is literally your job to help your clients understand this process. That's why they're going to you rather than self recording. My first thought is more why should they understand all of these terms? They're the songwriter/band member/rapper etc. It's their job to come up with the music and it's your job to capture it and help put it all together into a final result. Sure it helps for them to broadly understand the journey for it to get there. All the better if they're inquisitive enough to really want to understand that whole process. But otherwise I wouldn't exactly expect them to totally familiarize themselves with all of these terms. They should be more focused on their writing, staying inspired and delivering good performances in the studio. I understand the need for good communication and can see how misunderstanding some of this stuff can bungle things. But I also think it's important to remember what your roll is and what their roll is.
Right, I agree it's our job to help the clients understand this stuff-- that's why I wrote this guide, so it can sit on my website if they want to read it, and I can include the link in initial correspondence. It took me years of reading, doing, and asking questions to get to the level of understanding I have of audio recording, and it's a continuing process. I think a 10 minute overview read of the process could be helpful to somebody who is new to it. I personally find it very refreshing when artists can tell me exactly what they want on a sonic level, through basic knowledge of the technology...if fact those are often the most successful and professional clients in my experience, usually because the are proficient at their home studio setup, or have been side by side with engineers in the past.