View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

There's actually an entire book on creative people's routines, but focusing mainly on their work routines. It's by Mason Curry, and it's called Daily Rituals: How Artists Work. Published in 2013. Also highly recommended is Cal Newport's book "Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World."

Cal Newport just put up a blog post about how the very prolific (and very successful!) novelist John Grisham works: he starts work at 7 am and finishes around 10am, five days a week. He mostly works during the winter months. In this 15-hour work week he manages to crank out a new novel in three to four months. His main secret is that he works in an outbuilding that has no internet or telephone. No distractions. John Grisham’s 15-Hour Workweek - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

To answer your question, I don't really think the exact order in which you do the things you mentioned really matters. Should you eat before you exercise or exercise before you eat? The answer differs from person to person. I need to eat before I exercise, otherwise I run out of steam. But the exercise guru Jack Lalane used to exercise for two hours before breakfast every day, mostly swimming. And he didn't eat much -- just two meals a day, no snacks. No coffee.

My advice would be to experiment with the order of morning routines, sticking with one routine for a week or two and then switching to another to figure out what works best for you. What works well for me may not work at all for you. There is no universal best routine. For maximum productivity, I'd recommend limiting answering email/checking Facebook, etc. to a set period of time: e.g., for 20 minutes or 30 minutes in the morning, and then if your work allows you should set aside specific times each day for internet-related activities.